Saturday 28 August 2010

System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

Argh! Been trying to install a service for about 2 hours. I followed the wizard in vs2008 to create a new service, added a call to start a thread of my code, hit compile, removed unicode and set to clr, hit compile again, and woo an EXE. Opened a command prompt, typed in "myservice.exe -Install" and oh dear.. failure. Seems I had to right click some crazy stuff and "Add Installer".. Sure I didnt have to do that part last time I made a service. Odd. So did it anyway, and tried again.
Still no luck! Tried creating an ASPNET admin user on my machine.. nope..
Some progress was made when switching properties from Local Service to Local System.. but the big breakthrough came when I closed my command prompt and opened another one as administrator.
Still not convinced by all this admin crud in Win7. Not sure it's an advance on XP in that regard. Ho hum, it looks like I've got a service to play with at last :)

No comments:

Post a Comment